POSTED BY ON -05-2012
Today I thought of sharing an interesting project for which I have been appointed as Review Manager and another remote team doing complete work including everything (project management, design, coding, testing) and I need to just review their output and report to my clients.
Initially we (myself and my client) started with finalizing the team and got a quote from many vendors and from the review of companies and the realistic quote I have suggested two companies, but the client want to go for the project on fixed price with the lowest cost possible which was given by an XYZ (I don´t want to mention any names) company. The client knows that the quotation given by that team is really 5-6 times lesser than the other vendors but still we gone ahead with drafting complete documents and project management gantt charts everything.
The XYZ company agreed for everything on the gantt chart signed the documents and agreements. We have started with 4 major milestones and the target dates were discussed and our client gave upfront payment and started the work.
Within 2 weeks we are getting very poor communications from them and no work in progress and we feel that there is no one doing the work and its litterally not matching with the tasks mentioned on the gantt chart.
After 2-3 weeks of issues we are able to get hold of the company CEO and he agreed to differnt milestones and the updated gantt chart for the work completion and he promised to put more resources and complete the work.
One more week passed and we are still in the bad stage and things got getting fire and everyone on action now to have call with all the persons and the team.
Then started the good part from their team and they started reviewing the gantt chart after the 3 weeks and gave update saying some of the key line items they will not be able to do which needs research work. Then we accepted except those items whether they can deliver the remaining parts. They came up with new gantt chart and we feel yes, we are going to follow the gantt chart from now on.
Again in next 1 week they started not meeting the deliveries and finally the project has to get cancelled after 2 months of continous meetings with the team and with all the persons.
Effectively we have wasted 3-4 persons time just to do reviews and update the gantt charts and having meetings on regular basis which cost more overheads.
1. Is the project expectation is too much for that team to deliver?
2. Are they having experienced sales / marketing team and not having expeirenced developers?
3. Are they working with freshers that are not able to deliver quality work?
4. Why outsouring fails?
1. Communication is key part till the bottom line of the project. It´s not only good if we have good communication till high level part and the communication should reach till the developer / tester end.
2. Accept only jobs that is with 20% or less risk.
3. Access your team´s ability and commit to clients. Don´t overcommit and get into issues.
4. Don´t take quotes which is lower and fail on projects instead award a quotation at mid level / high level so that you will have value added services.